Friday, January 06, 2006

UBUNTU experience


I installed ubuntu . This was really a great experience. I inserted the install CD during boot time. I pressed enter . And It tried to configure DHCP . But as we all know that none of our internet connections are running on dhcp . It couldn't succeed . So I choose the option " do not configure network this time". Partitioning as always was slightly difficult for newbies but those who have an empty partition ... It will be very easy . It asked for a username and password . I gave them as "pavi' and "*******" ( Just kiddin) . Afterwards It automatically restarted ,ejected CD and over there is the new Linux standing before of me.
The coolest thing about ubuntu is the support I got ...
I could run my C- Program on ubuntu which kaushik has been complaining .."Arrey Yaar ubuntu mein C program compile nehi hota hai" It is a matter of 3 minutes I got My c program running !!

I first ran the command # apt-get install build-essential This command will build the essential libraries for c compilation.

#include main() { printf("Hello To UBUNTU"); }
Compiled it with the command
gcc -o hello.o hello.c
Afterwards ran the program
./hello.o

Got the output

Hello To UBUNTU

Immediately I opened Gaim and sent an instant message to kaushik about my success story. He can later check this blog if he has any doubts!!!

4 comments:

lavanya said...

Made a good reading...but didnt understd much technically!!!!!!

pavi said...

Lavanya ... i am sorry ... this blog is a kind of technical blog...

Naresh V said...

yo,
talking about DC5 i haven't tried it myself but people in my campus have.
i'm currently very happy with gentoo and couldn't be happier. :)

Naresh V said...

and coming to the bsd-partitioning thing it's quite simple.
basically it's all about partition tables types and terminology.
i'm using the dos-partition table scheme (primary partitions, extended partitions)
when you use bsd-partition schemes you talk about slices and dices (sclices contain dices). now if you want to have a bsd-slice in a dos-partition table you have to allow the bsd-installer to create a sclice just like a primary partition.(not logical partition etc.)

i'd recommend that you give BSDs a try.