Wednesday, May 07, 2008

BBC on Debian GNU / Linux

I wanted to listen to BBC especially the drama's in BBC radio 2 .
BBC needs a real player installed to run it's online radio :(
I tried to do so in amarok as I use KDE .
I couldn't :( , tried googling got one useful result .

Try running
mms://wmlive.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc7/lo_s1 in VLC . You could only play BBC 7 but it really did satisfy my ego as 7 is about drama and books ;)

And those who want the BBC world service news use mplayer.
just
$mplayer rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/livenews_v8.ra

will play the stream .
Happy listening and if you are more interested in why BBC doesn't use open standards please do check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2007/01/in_response_to_site_changes.html

2 comments:

Mike said...

You could also just install realplayer from its site. It is easy to do :)

pavi said...

Yes !
But Real player is not open source :(