Monday, February 01, 2010

Mapping $HOME

I am not happy to see that one of the top contributors for $HOME in google maps was a user called 'pavi' LOL

'Efforts better utilised' Yeah I get the feeling . I tried many times to use the potlach editor for mapping . But the Yahoo satellite imagery zoom level is so bad that I couldn't even identify the place.
The same was with google 2 years back . But now the satellite did come and take some snapshots . I can identify even buildings . That made easy the mapping of places . Anyways now I have got some practice using google maps.

One day I sat down mapping using potlach . I could change the population so that my place would be visible in OSM on a particular zoom level . I also added grand ma's village and some places like hospital . But it is a very cumbersome process.

The only way to get $HOME on OSM is via GPS . Luckily I could find a SE 'yari' mobile with a GPS inbuilt. I haven't yet seen the device. But I found some software which works with it .

Mobile Trail Explorer
is a free software which can export gpx and kml files . I installed it on my SE 'z550i' which doesn't have a GPS inbuilt but it anyways got installed because the software can use a GPS device built on a external bluetooth device.

As of now waiting to get my hands on SE 'yari' !

No comments: