Sunday, August 21, 2011

MInidebconf pune Day 1



It all started with a very irritating journey and a long wait at pune bus stop in the morning . Nopes things didn't at all get worse :D . We couldn't read the no on the buses cause we never learned hindi no's when we were children. actually atleast me couldn't even read telugu no's . So when we were told some no's to catch for Bibenwadi , we were like a lost puppy situation we got a mail with this screen shot on the phone thanks to Sana Khan .



We came to the shani mandir where mihir picked us and dropped us at Shubhmay's house because hostel wont have hot water . First thin to notice were 3 stacks of T shirts . A big discussion on Debian Tshirt has started and I decided to wear the diaspora t shirt for day 1 .

My big bag where 1/2 of the t shirts were put up was carried by Shubhmay while others carried other bags of T shirts and we went by auto to the venue , We entered the backstage and came on the front stage . It was quite big and scary ( lol yeah also to me )

Breakfast of some pune food like puneri ( or something with boiled circles :D ) ( correct name was sabudana khichdi ) and the default vadaa paav happened with shirish and praveen with whom the issue of Tshirts was raised and Yeah didn't want to stress much because the printing was already finished.

On the way back to venue we met sana who was quite tensed to give the talk , shilpi her BFF was trying to give her some confidence while I tried scaring her lol there happened something which should scare her more , her spectacles broke and I called shubhmeyi to fix it , it was done by quick fix thanks to volunteers. We discussed on where to go , I showed my one slide and told them to include it . Sana did that and was reading her notes while the video of actual debconf telling about the video was playing .


I was preparing my edu talk and was quite busy typing and collecting feedback . praveen just sat on first seat while feedback had come that the video was going over the head , we made shirish start , shirish in fact has got very good examples usecases while explaining debian but unfortunately the audience which comprised of new to FOSS ecosystem , Ubuntu users who dunno anything , ubuntu users who don't care about Foss etc weren't interested at all .


I joined in between for an explanation of stable,testing , unstable,experimental while praveen made me tell about package . I dunno if I correctly told it but the message did go across . Back to shirish who gave the con to sana she started with bug tracking , she was quite loud and clear but she went too fast cause she was tensed . I came out to speak again with package managers and then told about desktops in Foss world . Had to lift and show fluxbox on netbook .


we breaked for lunch at canteen where I hated the jeera rice, it was too oily , we did have some photos and I had a cha with abhijeet and another college lecturer . There was another chap from PICT who was actually supposed to make the event happen in their college unfortunately college has gone so strict that even this chap had to take a fake permission that he was speaking at the event .


Post lunch abhijeet has to start his FOSS discussion .



I was told to stand at the diaspora stand , was able to tell some groups who walked over about diaspora . I told about how important decentralised information is . There was a diaspora board with a place for people to ask for joindiaspora invites . I did send them some invites .

Went inside to get my talk straight , took lot of time and I was feeling sleepy . I came out and again had a chat with volunteers and a dejavu discussion with sana which I am getting tired of .


My edu talk covered about debian blends and how people could help with the debian Jnr blend for kids. Also about success stories of skole linux . It was a dull afternoon and I had seen some coep people taking notes hence took the extra effort to show some screenshots of kde edu and gcompris .


praveen took over the con while I went out for a small chat with volunteers . He was explaining about debian packaging and other stuff which he will be dealing the next day . There was also a rapid Q & A .



Evening aka the end of the sessions came on quick and while prajakta and her buddy was leaving , told her to get laptop for packaging session . She told that her wifi was not fixing and hurray the volunteers know about the model and hey had a drriver ready for it . 30 minutes later prajakta walked out with a smile that it is working :) well that makes one person who would come for sure the next day( she did come and is ready with her package ! ) .

we split up , me praveen( 1 and 2 ) , abdul and muneeb went to the city to have some non veg food . It was really nice to see the congenial muslim atmosphere . Having grown up very close to them all my life , it was very pleasing and the food was nice . Abdul and praveen teased praveeen illa for eating beef instead of mutton lol

way back couldnt find auto , the volunteers made sure we got one , I agreed for meter +30 casue hyd is more extreme in pricing during rare auto cases like this . I checked via GPS to see if weren't take for a ride . actually the auto went on a very optimal route the shortest one :D

Shubhmay came to pick us up and we slept soon( 1 hr of talking) as we were tired. Much surprising to all of us . we all got up early . we started discussing about how many would come . We did take some estimate of who definitely would turn up for the event .

No comments: