Saturday, May 05, 2012

Pulse Audio on LMDE

Pulse Audio on LMDE was giving choppy sound especially when playing flash . I noticed that it also occurs with multiple audio applications .

I strangely due to a broken hard disk was running on LMDE live USB for many days , flash sometimes did work with slight disturbance, but today it totally stopped giving me clear audio at all .

I did google around for some solutions like

  1. /etc/asound.conf and put lines with pulse   - This one didn't work as already the lines were there on my distro . 
  2. Completely remove pulseaudio - It kind of worked but I was only able to play audio with few applications and flash couldn't find the audio .
  3. Change lines in /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa

The 3rd solution worked but not so pleasantly as I already had tried it with anpther option  where Martyn raynard says that HAL is not enabled in the file , but has been done on the main ubuntu base . He suggested a patch which after applying didn't work .

Archlinux wiki page on pulse audio gave a good solution on how to avoid cracking and it worked  .

Yes its the same file /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa and almost same lines which martyn has earlier told on udev

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-       udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
.else


Restarted the pulse audio server and yeah I can get back to watching without choppy sound :)



No comments: