Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Debian sid - intel + ati graphic driver issue

Having both intel and ATI hybrid graphics is a pain and you definitely need some tool to switch between the graphic cards . One thing which perfectly works is the ATI propreitary driver catalyst . I dont want to get into that mess hence started looking at setting up only the intel driver .

Well I end up with a keyboard + mouse freeze everytime I start the X server .  I was not sure what was causing the issue . During the freeze there is just a dark blank screen and I am left wondering if the X has started or not . The only proof that it had actually started are clean logs with no errors and the moment I switch the manual power butt I see X windows and mouse .

I tried ATI free drivers which didnot work and I was hell bent on getting the intel ones to work . I used xserver-xorg-video-intel  .

While I was searching for solutions I found something at debian-user list on running udevadm trigger and keeping it on a script didnt do much good for me .

Then I was searching for the card itself which gave me some results for the query "i915 input devices debian"
I found a solution in the forums that I need to reinstall the glx drivers which have some propreitary ATI components. I do remember that when I started with the debian machine I was on "free" , later had to add non-free for the drivers . So definitely some packages do need reconfiguration .

#apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri 
#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Well it worked but how much of dependence is there on ATI driver ? I am not sure of that , sometimes randomly the ATI GPU turns on . Hopefully I can shut this GPU down permanently . And yes there is no BIOS switch for that . 

No comments: